Up-scaling production of controlled hydrates
ESR: Alexandru Pirvan
Host: HTC (PhD awarded by EPFL)
Start date: January 1, 2018
The objectives are:
- To develop means by which laboratory scale production of carefully controlled hydrates can be up-scaled to an industrial production environment & conditions.
- To engineer materials with optimised microstructure for transport properties as well as mechanical properties, these materials composed of C-S-H manufactured using industrial by-products.
- To verify the findings from sub-particle size microstructure as understood from ESR projects 1 to 8.
Progress of the project
Presentation mid term [PDF]
- Month 12: Screening of suitable production methods for large scale production complete;
- Month 21: Up-scaled samples with variable composition produced using the production method selected;
- Month 30: Characterisation of transport properties of the different samples complete;
- Month 39: Link made between chemical and mineralogical composition of engineered hydrates and desired properties for high volume production
- 4 months at EPFL: Training in research methods and techniques; start month 1.
- 2 months at EPFL: Training in research methods and techniques; start month