1H NMR relaxation characterisation of hydrates
ESR: Rémi Albert Kogon
Start date: February 1, 2018
This project has two objectives:
- To make measurements of 1H NMR relaxation at early hydration times (0.1 to 6 hours) in order to confirm or otherwise the Gartner model of early stage hydration and the emergence of gel pores from the stacking (“zipping-up”) of Gartner sheets;
- To use, refine and set limits on the 1H NMR analysis used to characterise C-S-H for the characterisation of hydrates with other oxide mixes made in Project 1.
Progress of the project
Presentation mid term [PDF]
Advances in the Interpretation of Frequency-Dependent Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Measurements from Porous Material, Faux David, Kogon Rémi, Bortolotti Villiam, McDonald Peter, 2019, Molecules, Vol 24, Issue 20, doi:10.3390/molecules24203688, https://www.mdpi.com/1420-3049/24/20/3688
- Month 12: Very early age NMR measurements of standard C-S-H hydration;
- Month 21: NMR measurements as a function of CaO to SiO2 ratio & interpretation in terms of Gartner model;
- Month 30: NMR measurements of other oxide mixes;
- Month 39: Limits of NMR method established.
- 1 month at EPFL: Participation in materials synthesis; start month 11.
- 4 months at HTC: Characterisation of hydrate porosity in an industrial environment; start month 27.
- 2 months at MR Solutions: Application Scientist: NMR of dental hydrates; start month 31.