Lattice Boltzmann modelling of water transport in hydrates agglomerates
ESR: Myrea Borg
Start date: November 1, 2018
The objectives are
- To use combinations of multiphase (liquid / vapour) and multi-scale (effective media) Lattice Boltzmann (LB) methods to model water transport in model hydrate structures derived from
- µIC, (Project 10);
- The “Etzold model” (Project 7) and
- the Jenning’s colloidal model with a view to demonstrating which, if any, is consistent with experimental data from WPs 2 and 3 &
- To push the LB method to accommodate the microstructural changes as they become understood within ERICA.
Progress of the project
Presentation mid term [PDF]
- Month 12: Multi-phase / effective media LB coded on a high-performance computer;
- Month 21: Transport compared in µIC, “Etzold” and Jenning’s structures;
- Month 30: Moving boundaries added to LB;
- Month 39: LB sorption demonstrated in a relaxing structure.
- 1 month at EPFL: Learn µIC model; start month 10.
- 1 month at TU Wien: Engage with poromechanical modelling; start month 20.
- 4 months at FEI: Lattice Boltzmann modelling in an industrial environment; start month 27